Filtering by Tag: flowers
I've taken a photograph of each of my subjects in my so-far 157 days of making a daily illustration, which serve a few purposes. First, I can see a history of the actual vs painted item and that's just fun. Second, it is MUCH easier for me to draw a subject that has already been 2-dimensionalized (not a word!) through the flat image. And, third, it is sometimes night when I get down to painting, so a brightly-lit reference is very helpful.
Box of Matches
I am officially just over the 1/3 mark of my "365 Days in My Kitchen" series. When I started, my sister-in-law asked me if I was worried about running out of things. Nah...I said. Now, I'm not so confident. Despite these three illustrations, I think produce will be my saving grace.
For so many reasons, I almost didn't post this. It is likely my least favorite to date in my 365Days series. I was in Tahoe with my family & some friends for a couple days of skiing. We rented a house, and in the kitchen was an artificial flower arrangement. For artificial flowers, they weren't too bad, and I liked the way these three flowers had long stems that pulled them off to the side. So, after a long day of driving and skiing, I sit down to paint with my travel paints. These are pan paints (the dry pads you add water to) and I haven't used them since summer. Now, the air in Tahoe is D R Y! ! I think this is a function of altitude and heating, but a scientist, I'm not. I mixed a few colors and started painting. The paint was dry almost before it touched the paper, so by the time I went back to add a secondary color, they wouldn't blend together like I would have liked. I may have been more successful adding more paint to the paper, but I was not working on super-great watercolor paper to begin with. The yellow flowers in particular have an old-fashioned-artificial-flower look to them, which may be accurate, but not really my aesthetic.
There it is. More than you may care to know about my thoughts on this painting.
Thanks for reading!
The second image shows the final painting. I added a light gray wash to make the shading caused by the sides of the bowl, but I was not patient and did not wait for my prior paint application to dry. Patience, patience, patience! Alternatively, I could have applied the gray at the very beginning of the painting process, but I worried my pinks would be muddled. Well, muddled they are. Paint and learn.